How to Travel on a Student/Low Budget

Traveling as a student = traveling with a tight budget = slightly difficult you might ask? Not really.
Laguna Beach 

I found that as a student - yes options were limited and you couldn't spend lavishly and splash out $300 a night at a nice hotel - I could travel freely and stay in hostels. Traveling with a tight budget isn't all that hard and is very awesome. It allowed me to have so many different experiences that I thought I would not have. Granted, I was very fortunate to embark on this journey and forever will be in debt to my parents that allowed me to go on this adventure.





Lido beach, venice italy
Lido Beach, Venice

Traveling on a budget just has some getting used to and some major planning. I spent around $300 - $500 per trip I took; each trip being 3-5 days long and each trip being defined per country. The amount spent at each country heavily depended on the activities that I did and the overall cost of living of that particular country.

Some tips and tricks:


  1. Plan everything out. Map it out. Excessive planning will never be a regret. 
  2. List out the activities you would like to do and plan accordingly (ie. cost, time spent)
  3. Book hostels or Airbnb depending on cost. Typically if there are more people on the trip, an Airbnb might be a better bet. 
    • Sidenote: Airbnb is awesome (not a plug!) It's like you're living like a local in that city. All the comfort of being in your own place while experiencing a whole new place.
  4. Map out the location of your lodging. Best tip is to pick one that is near a metro/tube/train station. 
  5. Check out any deals and freebies available for students. For example, all museums are free in Paris for EU students or those with an EU student visa. 
  6. Ryanair or EasyJet are your best bets for cheap airfare. Megabus, National Express, etc... coach buses are also cheap alternatives. Book trains in advance because those can get expensive. 
  7. Book in advance! It can get expensive come near the time you want to go.
Hopefully I didn't miss anything. If you have any questions feel free to ask me in the comment section and I'll try to get back to you!

Happy traveling! x

Comments

Popular Posts