SAN DIEGO EATS: THE MISSION IN GASLAMP DISTRICT

When I visited San Diego a few weeks ago, I ate at brunch at The Mission located in the Gaslamp District behind Petco Park. Despite its rather isolated surroundings during the weekend, this restaurant was hustling and bustling with people. I'd recommend coming here as early as you can since the wait is out the door as time ticks towards noon. I came around 9 am and had a 20 minute wait.

The Mission in San Diego brunch
The Mission in San Diego brunch


The Mission in San Diego brunch architecture


The Mission is a fusion of Mexican and American tastes as their menu boasts. Their coffee is amazing - now, I don't know much about coffee but it was pretty darn good in my opinion. It's definitely not instant coffee that they make here! I got the Thai coffee, which is coffee with condensed milk; it tastes very similar to Vietnamese iced coffee (cafe sua da). I thought it was veering on the slightly too sweet side but that's just because I'm a black coffee drinker.

Coffee during brunch at The Mission in San Diego brunch


French toast at The Mission in San Diego brunch

One of the dishes that I consider to be a home run was their French Toast. It was made with thick slices of cinnamon bread and was perfectly moist yet crunchy on the outside. Coupled with syrup, this was the real MVP of the morning. It was a perfect hit of sweet (usually I find french toasts very sweet and cannot finish it all without going on a complete sugar high).

quesadilla at The Mission in San Diego brunch


Also good was their quesadilla plate. Boy, did it fill me up for the whole day. Portions are plentiful. The quesadilla had their signature pulled pork which was a good mix of sweet and savory.

All in all, definitely recommend this place for a nice relaxing brunch. Thank you SD for an amazing weekend!

architecture houses in downtown san diego



Comments

Popular Posts